Wrap up warm, a chilly weekend coming up according to weather reports. Before real winter weather sets in I thought I’d share a few helpful tips to keep your flock happy.
Healthy chickens are quite hardy in normal winter weather conditions, here are some tips to help keep them happy in winter:
- Combs and wattles are susceptible to frost bite damage during freezing weather, smear with Vaseline to prevent this from happening.
- Pieces of carpet or an old duvet on top of the hen-house roof will stop heat escaping. Avoid covering ventilation holes and make sure ventilation is above head height.
- Check drinkers regularly during very cold weather, they’re likely to freeze quickly.
- Feed warm wet mash in the morning, this can be done by mixing layers mash with boiled water into suitable bowls. I use large ceramic dog bowls. Check the temperature with your finger before feeding!
- Feed a little mixed corn as an afternoon treat just before shutting your hens up for the night. Corn provides a boost of energy to help keep them warm on a cold winters night.
- Spread an extra…
View original post 83 more words