December is a great month to finish tidying, tackle repairs to structures, winter dig and generally plan and look forward to the coming growing season!
- Get on with winter digging (avoid if the ground is frozen or waterlogged)
- Spread well-rotted manure on areas that need a bit of a boost (avoid planting roots in these areas)
- Harvest Brussels sprouts from the bottom up
- Harvest parsnips after a hard frost, they’ll be sweeter for it
- Plant garlic if you can work the soil, otherwise use small pots and plant out once rooted
- Drool at seed catalogues and plan your veg planting for next year